WebSphere is an IBM's application and an integration software platform, and includes the total middle- ware infrastructure, along with servers, services, tools, creating, deploying, running, and monitoring round-the- clock, enterprise web applications and cross-plat formed, cross-producing solutions. IBM WebSphere is a brand name that represents many products. IBM WebSphere Application Server is belonging to one of the many products in the IBM WebSphere brand. WebSphere Application Server is an application server that provides a framework for running organization level Java based Web applications and services. The applications may be as simple or as complex processing applications. The services include resourced specifications, cluster, server administration, security, performing, and Transaction. A key building block for Service-oriented Architecture framework.
WebSphere Application Server: WebSphere Application Server is also called as middleware thatconnects clients, browsers and front end Web servers to back-end systems nothing but databases. Middleware that lies between the operating system and applications, and extends the functions of the operating system by combining systems such as databases and transaction processors, and continuing them to the Web.
Websphere Application Server is supported on following platforms.
WebSphere Application Server is available in three editions:
* WebSphere Application Server Liberty Core.
* WebSphere Application Server Base
* WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment
WAS editions: There are seven WAS editions as following at the moment in the market.
1. Websphere Application Server – Liberty Core
2. Websphere Application Server – Express
3. Websphere Application Server – Base
4. Websphere Application Server – Network Deployment
5. Websphere Application Server – Hypervisor Edition
6. Websphere Application Server – z/OS
7. Websphere Application – Developers.